Long Island Rail Road

Port Jefferson Branch

Nonfiction, Reference & Language, Transportation, Railroads, History, Art & Architecture, Photography, Pictorials, Travel
Cover of the book Long Island Rail Road by David D. Morrison, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: David D. Morrison ISBN: 9781439644218
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: October 28, 2013
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: David D. Morrison
ISBN: 9781439644218
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: October 28, 2013
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English
The Long Island Rail Road is the oldest railroad in the country still operating under its original name. As the busiest railroad in North America, it carries 265,000 customers each weekday aboard 735 trains on 11 different branches. The Port Jefferson Branch serves 10 stations from Hicksville to Port Jefferson and carries nearly 20 percent of the railroad�s passenger traffic over its 32 miles of track. Hicksville Station is the site of the October 8, 1955, �End of Steam Ceremony,� when steam locomotives were retired from service. The oldest surviving station building constructed by the Long Island Rail Road is on this branch at St. James. Between 1895 and 1938, the branch extended 10 miles east to Wading River. The branch was not electrified until 1970 and that was only to Huntington Station, east of which is served by diesel and dual-mode locomotives.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
The Long Island Rail Road is the oldest railroad in the country still operating under its original name. As the busiest railroad in North America, it carries 265,000 customers each weekday aboard 735 trains on 11 different branches. The Port Jefferson Branch serves 10 stations from Hicksville to Port Jefferson and carries nearly 20 percent of the railroad�s passenger traffic over its 32 miles of track. Hicksville Station is the site of the October 8, 1955, �End of Steam Ceremony,� when steam locomotives were retired from service. The oldest surviving station building constructed by the Long Island Rail Road is on this branch at St. James. Between 1895 and 1938, the branch extended 10 miles east to Wading River. The branch was not electrified until 1970 and that was only to Huntington Station, east of which is served by diesel and dual-mode locomotives.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Huntington Beach, California by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book The Scribner House of New Albany: A Bicentennial Commemoration by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book A History of Vampires in New England by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book World War I and Jefferson County, West Virginia by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Madison by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Legendary Locals of Bel Air by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Parris Island by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Portsmouth Women by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Milford by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book The Chicago Bungalow by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Southern California Surf Music, 1960-1966 by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Northampton County by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Russell City by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Aiken's Sporting Life by David D. Morrison
Cover of the book Biscayne National Park by David D. Morrison
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy