Fox Island

Nonfiction, Travel, Pictorials, Art & Architecture, Photography, History
Cover of the book Fox Island by Don Edgers, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Don Edgers ISBN: 9781439620564
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: March 10, 2008
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: Don Edgers
ISBN: 9781439620564
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: March 10, 2008
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English
Fox Island has had as wide a variety of names as inhabitants over its long and diverse history. The island was named for American lieutenant John L. Fox, who was with the 1841 Wilkes Expedition. However, it was first known as Bu Teu by the Native Americans who used the island for burials and potlatches, and it was later named Rosario by the Spanish in the 1770s. It served as a temporary Native American reservation after the Indian War of 1856, and later supported a large dogfish processing business and, from 1884 to 1910, a brick-manufacturing company. The island�s 1890s community of Sylvan contained a school, a store, a dock, a vacation lodge, and a waterfront church. In 1954, a bridge replaced the ferry to Fox Island. Today the U.S. Navy has an acoustic laboratory on the island, and two large church buildings have been built. Perhaps the most famous resident of the island was Washington�s first female governor, Dixy Lee Ray.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Fox Island has had as wide a variety of names as inhabitants over its long and diverse history. The island was named for American lieutenant John L. Fox, who was with the 1841 Wilkes Expedition. However, it was first known as Bu Teu by the Native Americans who used the island for burials and potlatches, and it was later named Rosario by the Spanish in the 1770s. It served as a temporary Native American reservation after the Indian War of 1856, and later supported a large dogfish processing business and, from 1884 to 1910, a brick-manufacturing company. The island�s 1890s community of Sylvan contained a school, a store, a dock, a vacation lodge, and a waterfront church. In 1954, a bridge replaced the ferry to Fox Island. Today the U.S. Navy has an acoustic laboratory on the island, and two large church buildings have been built. Perhaps the most famous resident of the island was Washington�s first female governor, Dixy Lee Ray.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Canton Entertainment by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Hidden History of Pittsburgh by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Alameda by Rail by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Gristmills of Central Texas by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Oysterponds by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Cumberland by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Great Yachts of Long Island's North Shore by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Belding by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Shawnee and Pottawatomie County by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Columbus by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Baseball in Orange County by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Alachua County, Florida by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Wheeling by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Cass County by Don Edgers
Cover of the book The History of the Kensington Soup Society by Don Edgers
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy